THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
The Ten Commandments are given in the Old Testament and can be found in Exodus chapter 20, verses 1-17 and again in Deuteronomy Chapter 5, verses 6 through 21. Although these commandments were given to the people of Israel as part of the ‘Law’ for the “transgressions of men” as the text puts it, it should be noted the Old testament law is now fulfilled and obsolete and is replaced by the the new covenant given by Jesus. Does this mean it is ok to steal, lie, covert thy neighbors wife or possessions? No. Jesus re-affirmed these things in the New Testament by His commandment to “love one another”, love your neighbor as you would yourself and His speaking of sexual immorality etc.
The Ten commandments as given in the Old Testament are as follows:
And God Spoke all these words, saying, I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.
* Thou shalt shall have no other gods before Me.
* Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thyself to them nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquities of the fathers upon the children unto the third and forth generations of those who hate Me, but shewing mercy unto thousands, to those who love Me and keep my commandments.
* Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who taketh His name in vain.
* Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work; but the seventh day is the Sabbath day of the Lord thy God; in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, not thy daughter, thy manservant servant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates, for in six days the Lord made the Heaven and Earth, the Sea and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.
* Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
* Thou shalt not kill.
* Thou shalt not commit adultery.
* Thou shalt not steal.
* Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
* Thou shalt not covert thy neighbors house, thou shalt not covert thy neighbors wife, nor his manservant servant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, or anything that is thy neighbors.